Stendhal is a fun friendly and completely free multiplayer online adventure game with an old school feel.
What is Stendhal?
Stendhal has a huge and rich world. You can explore cities, forest, mountains, mines, plains, caves and dungeons.
You could meet over 250 NPCs, many will give you tasks and quests for valuable experience, shiny gold, but mainly a warm fuzzy feeling. You may be asked to help protect land or people from danger, feed the hungry, heal the sick, make someone happy, solve a puzzle, play a game or simply lend a hand. You can keep track of your progress using a Travel Log.
Your character will develop and grow and with each new level up become stronger and better. With the money you acquire you can buy new items and improve your armour and weapons, trade with friends, or look for what other players are giving away in the 'community chest'.
If you just want to fight that helps too - the cities could get overrun by monsters without you!
Start playing, get hooked... and if you like, get the source code, and add your own ideas!
So what are you waiting for? A whole new world awaits...
Start playing, get hooked...
With Java installed, playing is as simple as clicking Play Now on stendhalgame.org. You can play Stendhal on Windows, Mac and Linux, it is completely free and all open source.
Get the source code, and add your own ideas!
Stendhal is part of the Arianne project and framework for developing games. It's a great project to get involved in, if you are interested in learning to develop Java for example. If you don't want to code you can help with graphics, history, dialogue, quest ideas, music and more. Join a team of developers from all over the world who create the game just for fun, and of course for free, in our spare time. We would really love to get your help contributing.
ManualYou can read Stendhal's manual here
Stendhal is a online game, so you need to connect to a server in order to be able to play:
- (client) released on 2019-02-01This file contains the stendhal client. Download this to play online.
- (server) released on 2019-02-01This file contains the stendhal server files.
See hosting information.
- (source) released on 2019-02-01This file contains the source code to build stendhal.
See build information.
Stendhal 1.29: Big city casts it shadowsworld
- started to work on Deniran city
- implemented outfit selector
- add a command menu
- fixed handling of tileset files with an image width that is not an exact multiple of the tile width
- stendhal-1.29.zip now contains a stendhal-starter.exe file to make it more convenient for MS Windows users. It will prompt the user to install Java, if it is missing. Then it invokes stendhal-starter.jar as usual
- continue movement through portals
- dedicated Archaeologist achievement
- provided mysql database update script (mysql_charset_workaround.sql) which changes all tables to mysql specific charset "utf8wb4". Important note: Using the standard conform charset "utf8" on >= MySQL 5.6 results in an item duplication bug
- admin can teleport to coordinates despite map collisions
- deleted sound files from sources which might have provided wrong license information
- server only security update of Marauroa
- Marauroa failed to verify username on client transfer
Stendhal 1.28: Let's play dress up!1.28 world
- many new enemy & NPC sprites
- some item sprites re-drawn
- no longer required to have 1 money to use scroll eraser
- added "venom gland" item to weekly item quest
- more NPCs award karma for accepting quests
- new "harmless" corpse sprite for spiders
- more NPCs won't turn around after collision
- new hair outfit sprite
- new sedative item that cures/prevents shocked status
- added support for more entities (fishing, coal picking, wishing well, nine switches game, tic tac toe game board)
- added support for event maps
- fixed broken menu on empty buddy list
- added detail outfit layer (e. g. balloon)
- sprites & tiles replaced with images suffixed with "-safe" when blood disabled
- double direction key press is used instead of holding Alt. key to intitiate auto-walk
- players can set continuous movement to continue walking after map change or teleport without releasing direction key
- weapon nature is used to set combat sprite if available
- portals can use "face" attribute to set player facing direction when used as a destination
- portals can use "offset" attribute to offset player positioning in relation to destination
- new implementation for antidotes & other status healing items
- shock status effect cannot be overridden by auto-walk
- pets can be walked over so as to not trap players
Stendhal 1.27: Rebirthworld
- hell timer fixed
- many new NPC and enemy sprite images
- player outfits replaced
- NPCs will now change direction after collision with another entity by default.
- players can change skin color
- We like to give a special thanks to members of the OpenGameArt community who made their work available
for games like Stendhal:
Svetlana Kushnariova (Cabbit), diamonddmgirl, amaranthia, Angry Amish, artisticdude, bagzie, Barbara Rivera, bluecarrot16, Casper Nilsson, Charles Gabriel (Antifarea), Cobra Hubbard (BlueVortexGames), Crisisworks, Curt, Daniel Eddeland (daneeklu), danielmahon, DkuCook, Dominik Gmiterko (ienze), Fabzy, GrumpyDiamond, Hyptosis, isaiah658, Jetrel, Johann C, Kemono, Kevin Smith (TKZ Productions), Lanea Zimmerman (Sharm), lawnjelly, Leonard Pabin, LordNeo, Lori Angela Nagel (Jastiv), Michael Williams (BizmasterStudios), mold, Nila122, NoLogoGames, Rayane Félix (RayaneFLX), RedVoxel, Shepardskin, Sollision, Stephen Challener (Redshrike), Tuomo Untinen (Reemax), William Thompson, Wolthera van Hövell tot Westerflier (TheraHedwig), wulax, Xenodora, Yamilian, Yar, yolkati, Zachariah Husiar (Zabin), ZaPaper, ztn, and other communities: Daniel Cook, Firkin, Guido Bos, leangoro, johnny_automatic, leangoro, liftarn
- The Arianne project would like to give special thanks to Svetlana Kushnariova (Cabbit) who created the base template sprites that are used throughout this release, and diamonddmgirl for her additions to the set. And finally, thank you to the Stendhal project members Kimmo Rundelin (kiheru), olonu, & Jordan Irwin (AntumDeluge) who put in extra hours of work to take on the huge task of creating & replacing sprite & tileset images.
Stendhal 1.26: Hell Bellsworld
- made new image for Gashadokuro
- made new image for Stone Golem
- made new image for Chicken
- made new image for mithrilforgernpc
- limited time in Hell due to the heat
- improved dialogues of some NPCs near Ados
- removed outdated text and admin clients
- added popup windows
- added group management commands
- implemented stacked item management
- display zone name
- implemented gate, walk blocker and PassiveNPC
- fixed a double login bug resulting in item duplication (thanks to pepsz for the report)
- fixed a NullPointerException on quit dialog
Stendhal 1.25: Ados Advancementsworld
- made new images for rams, lions
- made new images for pine, locust trees, new old ents
- made new ship tiles
- added soldiers to Ados wall
- added city wall gate to Ados south
- added a fisher hut south of ados city
- widened pathways in hell
- use "ant compilejs" to invoke closure compiler
- zone change by clicking near the zone boarder
- performance optimisations
- added growing spawner (grain, carrots, etc...)
- right click popup menu
- highlight npc triggers and item names in chatlog
- removed dependency on polymer
Stendhal 1.24: Fighting the curseworld
- Mermaids linger around near the outer edge of grotto
- New images for farm animals: cow and bull
- New images for dragons: green and red as well as green and red dragon riders
- New images for ghost, death, black death and golden death
- New images for brown, green and black slimes
- fixed crash on missing images
- updated polymer and webcomponentsjs, but MS Edge is still broken :-/
- improved drag and drop of items from corpse and chest
- added dragable PopupWindow (e. g. for corpse inventory, menus and dialogs)