Stendhal is a fun friendly and completely free multiplayer online adventure game with an old school feel.
What is Stendhal?
Stendhal has a huge and rich world. You can explore cities, forest, mountains, mines, plains, caves and dungeons.
You could meet over 250 NPCs, many will give you tasks and quests for valuable experience, shiny gold, but mainly a warm fuzzy feeling. You may be asked to help protect land or people from danger, feed the hungry, heal the sick, make someone happy, solve a puzzle, play a game or simply lend a hand. You can keep track of your progress using a Travel Log.
Your character will develop and grow and with each new level up become stronger and better. With the money you acquire you can buy new items and improve your armour and weapons, trade with friends, or look for what other players are giving away in the 'community chest'.
If you just want to fight that helps too - the cities could get overrun by monsters without you!
Start playing, get hooked... and if you like, get the source code, and add your own ideas!
So what are you waiting for? A whole new world awaits...
Start playing, get hooked...
With Java installed, playing is as simple as clicking Play Now on stendhalgame.org. You can play Stendhal on Windows, Mac and Linux, it is completely free and all open source.
Get the source code, and add your own ideas!
Stendhal is part of the Arianne project and framework for developing games. It's a great project to get involved in, if you are interested in learning to develop Java for example. If you don't want to code you can help with graphics, history, dialogue, quest ideas, music and more. Join a team of developers from all over the world who create the game just for fun, and of course for free, in our spare time. We would really love to get your help contributing.
ManualYou can read Stendhal's manual here
Stendhal is a online game, so you need to connect to a server in order to be able to play:
- (client) released on 2017-09-19This file contains the stendhal client. Download this to play online.
- (server) released on 2017-09-19This file contains the stendhal server files.
See hosting information.
- (source) released on 2017-09-19This file contains the source code to build stendhal.
See build information.
Stendhal 1.26: Hell Bellsworld
- made new image for Gashadokuro
- made new image for Stone Golem
- made new image for Chicken
- made new image for mithrilforgernpc
- limited time in Hell due to the heat
- improved dialogues of some NPCs near Ados
- removed outdated text and admin clients
- added popup windows
- added group management commands
- implemented stacked item management
- display zone name
- implemented gate, walk blocker and PassiveNPC
- fixed a double login bug resulting in item duplication (thanks to pepsz for the report)
- fixed a NullPointerException on quit dialog
Stendhal 1.25: Ados Advancementsworld
- made new images for rams, lions
- made new images for pine, locust trees, new old ents
- made new ship tiles
- added soldiers to Ados wall
- added city wall gate to Ados south
- added a fisher hut south of ados city
- widened pathways in hell
- use "ant compilejs" to invoke closure compiler
- zone change by clicking near the zone boarder
- performance optimisations
- added growing spawner (grain, carrots, etc...)
- right click popup menu
- highlight npc triggers and item names in chatlog
- removed dependency on polymer
Stendhal 1.24: Fighting the curseworld
- Mermaids linger around near the outer edge of grotto
- New images for farm animals: cow and bull
- New images for dragons: green and red as well as green and red dragon riders
- New images for ghost, death, black death and golden death
- New images for brown, green and black slimes
- fixed crash on missing images
- updated polymer and webcomponentsjs, but MS Edge is still broken :-/
- improved drag and drop of items from corpse and chest
- added dragable PopupWindow (e. g. for corpse inventory, menus and dialogs)
Stendhal 1.23: Cursedworld
- Mizuno sells ice, fire, and light arrows.
- Because of a bad curse, many creatures, animals and people have lost their appearance
- Please join us at https://stendhalgame.org/chat/ if you want to help
Stendhal 1.22: Joyful timesworld
- Winter has started and the weather shows it
- Semos is decorated for Christmas
- New Christmas song: "O how joyfully"
- KillMonks quest history shows tally marks
- fixed "under the ocean" layer on clients without support for full alpha.
Stendhal 1.21: Get the party readyworld
- Pets can drink 'medicine' even when they aren't hungry. Making them easier to maintain in battle.
- New trader NPC (Mizuno) travels around remote parts of Ados selling ice arrows for black pearls.
- Rebalancing vampire, chaos swords.
- Photo booth at Mine Town Revival festival
- Small improvements to maps
- Small improvements to item and monster descriptions
- Default action of chest changed to open/inspect instead of look
- Help For the Harvest quest works again.
- In TeleporterBehaviour, zoneName.startsWith() now checks a variable so teleporting NPCs can be a little more customizable.
- TeleporterBehaviour can now be passed an array of zones to choose from or leave null for the default list.